Monday, July 25, 2016

When Life Was Groovy: Part 2 - Lana Lobbel

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.  You see, one of the challenges facing your humble Historical Blogger is the acquisition of more material.  While the Sears and JCPennys catalogs are fairly predictable in their production of good Kathy pics, other sources are more of a hit or miss.

And I've been burned a few times in my attempts to acquire more Kathy pics. So when a catalog called Lana Lobbel popped up on Ebay, I almost didn't buy it.  I had never heard of that catalog so I had no idea if it was a roll of the dice or not.  However, the year (1972) was right and the price wasn't too bad.

So how did this gamble pay off??

The cover looks promising.  I'm thinking "Well, even there are no Kathy pics, there's bound to be dome 70s groovy styles I can use."

This is not encouraging at all.  This page was one if the pics in Ebay.  The pic was out of focus so I thought that maybe the gal in the upper left was Kathy, but its not.  Oh well.

At this point it looked like I'd have to be content with some groovy examples of early 70s styles like here.

Or here.  We even have a dog!!  However, I'm definitely not impressed by Lana Lobbel here.  The mutt doesn't look too impressed either.


So at this point I was pretty much resigned to the fact that this purchase was a bust.  Then.......
Bang, a Kathy pic!! And a good one.  Well now, all of a sudden my gamble didn't seem like a bad idea after all!!

Very, very nice!! And the flowers are a nice touch also!

Very classic early 70s fashions

You just gotta love those styles!

Another Kathy pic!! That makes two!  And not only that, we have another dog (or is it the same one as before).  Either way this Lana Lobbel catalog is producing big time!

As mentioned in previous posts, I'm not a big fan of Kathy in wigs.  After all, you're not going to improve on the original!

"Everyone Has the Figure for These"  Yes but that was in 1972 - before high fructose corn syrup was introduced.

 "Move to Jersey"? No thanks.  'll stay in Texas.

Yes, this Lana Lobbel catalog was worth the price and I'll be looking for more. (1)

Oh wait, one more thing.....
A third Kathy pic!!  And with Karen

A very nice way to end my first post on Lana Lobbel!!

footnotes:

(1) Does anyone know the name of the model on the lower right? She was a regular catalog model of that era.

3 comments:

  1. The only model I can name is Wendy Hill. She's the one on the lower right in pic 14, the lower left on pic 5, second from left on pic 4 and on the left and middle of the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking for the name of the woman in the corner of the Who has a Figure for these next to the D- she was in a lot of catalogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you mean the 11th pic, I don't know who she is either. There are a lot of these models that I haven't identified yet.

      Delete